Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Apologies in advance for my pathetic attempt at bragging


AP English never ceases to bring one horrifying aspect of my personality to the forefront: my self-diagnosed attention anxiety. I find myself at a loss for words during discussions, I grow uncomfortable upon receiving compliments or awards and I loathe the task of bragging about myself. But, to my horror, my responsible peers who did not wait until today to complete their blog set a precedent of boasting proudly about their writing. So, out of hope for earning a satisfying final grade in English, I will proceed with an attempted dignified tone. I deem my most well written blog post as “’Adapting’ or completely changing?” I admit, I could have conjured up a better title. Nonetheless, I believe this blog successfully illustrated a relevant, thought-provoking topic through quality writing. I argued that many film adaptors take too many liberties when transforming a piece of writing into film and rationalized this notion with an experiment. I showed my mother one of our short films, wondering if she could pinpoint the original author’s central message. She could not connect what she perceived as the film’s purpose to the intended theme of the author, reinstating my belief that film adaptors do not effectively reflect the purpose of the authentic story. I believe that I not only provided an arousing topic, but also wrote the piece solidly. I usually struggle to pinpoint the optimal vocabulary word for certain instances. However, as I re-read the blog, I felt satisfied with the flow of my sentences and the fact that it did not sound as if I had gotten out of control with the thesaurus. Next, I consider my blog titled, “Passing the ‘human’ test” as my most interesting blog. Within the blog dubbed, “Out of this world,” by Ms. Serensky’s in the blog show, I discussed my trials with proving myself as a human to Blogger by typing an illegible sequence of jumbled letters and numbers. I then contrasted my experience of authenticating my humanity to the also difficult of determining what qualifies a character as a legitimate human. I decided that the deciding factor transpired as compassion, which most of the characters in The Great Gatsby lacked, thus identifying them as hypothetical “non-humans” in my eyes. I view my comparison between the two distinct “humanity tests” as unique, as I hope my peers did. As I reflect on this particular writing, I realize that I also have Anna Witkin to thank for contributing to the intrigue of this blog. She encouraged me to click the audio button next to Blogger’s “human test,” emphasizing the hilarity of the woman who attempts to speak the phrase while sounding absolutely ridiculous. I consider myself an avid fan of Anna’s writing, so I regard her comment as my favorite. I commented back to Anna expressing my amusement in the woman’s struggle, similar to mine, because, quite frankly, she did nothing in the way of proving herself as a human. Ultimately, I have Anna to thank for scoring me a spot on Ms. Serensky’s blog show, because who doesn’t want to listen to a robot speak jumbled words like an “inebriated zombie” (as described by Anna)?

No comments:

Post a Comment