Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Grandma-sitting"


While babysitting for two families, each with three children, last August, I faced an unexpected, yet extreme experience. The six kids and I played a grueling game of Capture the Flag and we concocted an interesting version of mac-n-cheese layered with ketchup. However, neither the dangerous game in the street nor my incompetent cooking skills led to “extreme babysitting,” but my simple act of kindness towards Valerie, the live-in grandmother. She conquered polio at an early age, but remained paralyzed from the waist down, isolating her to her bed where she sat eating the ice cream cone I gave her. I often hear noises of discomfort coming from her room, so her coughing did not alarm me at first. But when I realized how long she had been coughing, I knew I had to leap into uncharted territory. Thankfully, I had called 911 before. But, unthankfully, it had only been to report a stray dog. I had no preceding experience to help guide me through that stark reality that someone’s life was in my hands.  I needed help. I have no recollection of what I said to the 911 operator on the phone, but I do remember the adrenaline and a surprising ability to remain calm that drove my actions. The kids were my next priority- the terrified looks on their faces spurred me to round all six of them up and assure them that everything would turn out okay, just like anyone looking into those 12 hopeful eyes would. Ordering them not to leave the basement, I flew upstairs where Valerie was still choking, and I did everything I could, considering my lack of upper body strength, to prop up her inert body. After an eternity, the ambulance arrived. Within that time, I had experienced an unknown range of emotions from intense fear to effective confidence. This extreme occurrence ejected me from my comfort zone and taught me that such challenges can catch us off guard even in everyday experiences, on the most mundane of days. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, new writing partner, you certainly have stopped my complaints about the difficulty of babysitting forever. Although I have dealt with a wide range of stubborn and downright bratty kids, choking grandmas have never appeared as part of my job discription. I will think twice before whining about the difficulty of wheeling my grandma down the hall and think What Would Katie Do? Perhaps you should consider becoming the newest memebr of Rorsachs's team: Grandma-Saver. I can see it now.

    ReplyDelete